Skip to main content

I'm back: Memoirs of my prime earning year (singular)

Inhale.  Ahhhh....you smell that my friends?  It's the sweet, sweet smell of freedom, possibility, opportunity, comfy clothes, ponytails, home-cookin', clean kids and perfectly seasonal urns... Yes, it's the bittersweet stench of unemployment.  That's right, after 15 plum months in a cushy, high-stress, 3" heels, latte-drinking management role, I was recently "exited" due to "restructuring" (read: canned). 

Here's my story for all of you at-home Moms who have ever wondered just how green the grass is in the 25 square-feet of corporately-assigned cubicle space you've fantasized about occupying whilst being pummeled upside the head by an errant soccer ball at the playground...  It's a cautionary tale for the ages.

Let's take a little step back in time for a sec, to remind you that prior to June 2013, I was a contentedly busy at-home Mom, part-time freelance TV product expert, occasional community volunteer and full-time nag to my husband.  Then opportunity came a-knocking: the chance to jump the rungs of the business-world and (gasp!!) oversee an entire department!!  "These are your prime earning years", corporate Mom-friends cautioned me with bewilderment in their eyes as I mulled it over.  I mean seriously, who could say no?  What's there to think about?  It was an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime chance to prove to myself and all those navy-suited go-getter Moms with Nannies, that I could, if I wanted to, enter the workforce and succeed, whenever I wanted to.  And so it began...

First came all the lifestyle changes:

At-Home Kasie                                  Working Kasie
Home cooked meals                            Longos meal-deals
Maintained property                           The Gardener
Cleaned the home                               Belinda
Saw kids onto school bus                   Saw raccoons on road at 5:45am from my car
Oversaw homework                           Paid sitter to oversee homework
Kids 80% Work 20%                         Work 80% Kids 20%                          
Fit                                                       Those pants used to fit...
Desperate for adult conversation       Chatted daily with celebs and inventors
Cat puked on carpet                           Walked red carpet
Felt unimportant                                Management!
Felt unappreciated                             Management!!
Felt financially impotent                   Management!!!
Full make-up                                     Full make-up
Styled hair                                         Styled hair

Okay, so some things remained the same, but overall, it was a major seismic shift and I'm not gonna lie, I LOVED it!!  Having the "I worked all day" excuse to not pick up the slack around the home was terrific!  Plus, compared to being at home all day with the kids, work was easy!!  Get this - I even had one whole hour at lunch, to eat in peace and amazingly, I didn't have to wipe anyone's face afterwards (although that guy from IT with the perma-stubble always had bagel crumbs on his).  And, people treated me differently.  Suddenly, I was more interesting in conversations...had more to contribute.  People wanted to know all about my day, whereas I don't recall anybody every excitedly asking me about my trip grocery shopping or pizza-lunch volunteering, or grass-cutting.  Being a working-woman put me on the map as far as family pride was concerned.  Telling their friends that "Kasie works on TV" elicited the same reaction as "She married a Royal!" would have had with senior citizens (at least 2 seniors btw think I did marry a Royal). Every day in the office proved more and more challenging as my work-life balance slid as steadily downhill as a chubby kid on a crazy-carpet down glare ice (I can make chubby jokes because one of my kids is sort of chubby).  If I had a nickel for every time I feverishly-typed a work email on my iPhone at 8pm only to snap at my kids, "not now...I'm busy", I'd be rich!  Sadly, all those nickels didn't do much to easy the guilt I felt for always having to put work first - and I did have to.  I managed a team that worked 18-hours/day, 7 days/week, 364 days/year...no time for family! or vacations! or the stench of my own b.o.!  Speaking of which, all this stress led to quite a lot of sweating at work...not much airflow in 25 square-feet of office space it seems.

So, when those fateful words made their way out of management's lips and across the desk to my disbelieving ears a mere 15 months after I was hired, "you are no longer employed here", a part of me wilted and died, but right there below the surface (under my concealer, foundation and 4-in-1 pressed powder) I could feel a ray of relief.  I cried.  A lot.  Then I had too much wine.  Then I took a deep breath, two Advil and set aside my pride to tell the kids.  Yes, even grown-ups sometimes don't succeed, and fall down and get hurt too.  And it sucks, so badly!!!  My youngest who's seven, flung open the covers on his bed and tapped the sheets gesturing for me to get in.  He wrapped his soft little arms around me (kid comforting parent for a change) and said, "Mom, does this mean you can serve pizza-lunch at my school again?"

Sometimes in life, it's that little slice of the (pizza) pie that holds more importance than any title, cubicle size or any walk down a red carpet could ever provide. 

As for me, I'll be back in action, freelancing, doing what I love (like writing!!), on my terms, again soon.  In the meantime, I hope that whatever it is that you're doing in life, it feels right and works for you - because the biggest paycheque of all is happiness.

                                               
Working Kasie would hate the above misalignment...
at-home Kasie is cool with it.


Comments

  1. You were one of my favourite hosts on TSC. You and Robert together were FUNNY! (and you never interrupted a guest, nor did you treat anyone rudely). With your sense of humour and writing style, you just might find yourself the new Erma Bombeck or something. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!!! I'm really looking forward to getting back on TV soon... something a little more part-time would suit my family best!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kasie
    I was missing you.Always enjoyed you on the Kitchenaid shows ,learned a lot and laughed a lot.Plus as a host on TSC your delightful sense of humor came shining thru.Wishing both you and Norm the very best.A lot of us are very upset with the recent happenings on TSC .Take care of yourself and your beautiful family.All the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I really am loving my new-found time with my family. Change is a good thing - keeps things fresh!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kasie,
    I truly appreciated your clever humour and easy to watch style as host at what may or may not be Canada's only shopping channel. Something has been changing there and as a customer I don't like it, and although I have spent many thousands of dollars there since the days of still shots, I have cut that back dramatically and now the dismissal of two EXCELLENT hosts (while the ones I can't even bear to watch and listen to remain in place) is the last straw. No more television shopping for me. The company does not listen to the customers and customer service is appalling. I wish you happiness and success whatever path you take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!!
      Thanks for the feedback. I know that many viewers are unhappy with the changes but I can tell you that I still adore TSC, TSC management, TSC staff, my old co-workers and all the fab products (just got a shipment today in fact!!). I just wanted to clear the air as it seems some have drawn the wrong conclusions. For me, this was a (big) nudge for the better!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Day: Our one day off and we still end up working

One of my absolute favourite Mother's Day cards can be found on the internet - it shows a woman applying to "Motherhood Inc." and she's reading through the employment contract - "One vacation day a year?!  That's all I get?!" she proclaims.  "We call it Mother's Day but technically you still have to work" says the interviewer.  So true. Every card a Mom gets on Mother's Day preaches the same utopic nonsense - advising Moms to "relax", "kick back", "pamper yourself"...  These cards are typically all written by men.  Have you ever noticed that men have no problem treating themselves to a full day with legs up, beverage in hand and mind empty of thoughts?  They don't even need it to be Father's Day!  It can just be any ol' Wednesday....sadly sometimes, the occasional deadbeat Dad will try and pull this stunt on Mother's Day - not cool.  Men are intrinsically wired to "unwind and chil

The Hottest Hire: Moms!

How staying at home to raise my kids lead to  more  work opportunities and the confidence to take them on. It's one of the biggest issues facing new Moms - the question of whether to put off a career in order to stay home raising our babies full-time, or whether to go back to work and focus on advancing our careers while we can. Historically, there's always been this perception that leaving the workforce during our prime earning years will severely hamstring our earning potential and career options later on. It's one of the most intensely difficult decisions women make - and is based on an outdated premise that one cannot start a robust, exciting, fulfilling and high-earning career at any stage in our lives. I remember feeling the intense scrutiny and judgment of working Moms when I opted to be a stay-at-home parent in those early years of my kids lives (I have three boys). There was an underlying assumption that I had chosen cookie baking, daytime television watch

Lipstick and hockey sticks: A girly Mom's guide to faking your way through kids hockey season

It's not easy being a skirt in a home chalk-full of rancid jocks.  But I've managed to get by.  You see, as the lone double X in a chromosomal pool of 4 XYs (5 if I include the dog), my interests in home decor, Fall fashions, beach-wave hair and pedis get buried somewhere underneath a pile of mismatched tube-socks, baseball gloves, goalie pads and Under Armour everything.  Don't get me wrong, I love being active.  I'm a daily exerciser, I enjoy 9-holes of golf and just finished up another summer season on a ladies ball-hockey team - and I literally still have no idea what the rules are (icing to me means confectioners sugar, butter and milk). I do my best at faking my way through "sporty" - just as Brittany Spears fakes her way through "talented" and "singing".  Pretending to love sports gives me a valid excuse to get out of the house for an hour each week to pursue an activity that my kids might actually care to inquire about.  "