Skip to main content

Get ready to toss your cookies kids... Yep, it's Christmastime!!

'Tis the reason to be tired of the season...falalalala, lalala, hack.

If you've got little kids you know that Christmastime is as much about throwing parties as it is about throwing up, and as much about gifts as it is about greed. In our humble home it's an annual xmas tradition that anywhere between one and three boys will toss their gingerbread cookies, develop Croup or break out in some other rarely experienced and unpleasantly named childhood infection.
"I'll take my hot cocoa with a side of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, Mum!"

It's also the time of year when my little angels utter the words "me", "mine" and "gimme" once every 6-seconds...even as we're dropping off a bunch of blankets to the SPCA in an attempt to teach the holiday virtues of giving and charity.  As they frantically shred the bag I've packed the canine delivery in at the back of the van, I can hear 30 little fingers grabbing at the donation, "Gimme....that's mine...I'm giving it to the dog with 3 legs and the glass eye...let go....mine, mine, mine!!!!"

Real-time update:  Noah (aka Needy),  in an act of eager, overzealous excitement, has just thrown up- that's a whole 13 days early!!  Way to go, son!!  But please save some of that bitter, watery gunk for xmas!  It just wouldn't be the same without it!

The season also brings questions- questions about Santa.  But in our house, it isn't questions about the big guy's existence, or how those wacky reindeer actually fly, or why Santa at the mall smells like gin...  No, the #1 question I get asked every Christmas is, "Mum, why doesn't Santa ever bring me anything I ask for?"   To which I reply, in my sweetest I'm-from-a-1940's-Christmas-classic-movie voice, "Because little munchkin, Santa knows that there isn't a chance in sweet hell that an eight-year old needs an iPhone 4...and besides dear, the only phone number you know, is your own!"

Ahhh....breath it in.  Can you smell it?  It's Christmas my friends... Oh no, sorry, that's Noah....forgot to wash the vomit from his hair.  Gotta run....

                                                       Merry Christmas everyone!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Day: Our one day off and we still end up working

One of my absolute favourite Mother's Day cards can be found on the internet - it shows a woman applying to "Motherhood Inc." and she's reading through the employment contract - "One vacation day a year?!  That's all I get?!" she proclaims.  "We call it Mother's Day but technically you still have to work" says the interviewer.  So true. Every card a Mom gets on Mother's Day preaches the same utopic nonsense - advising Moms to "relax", "kick back", "pamper yourself"...  These cards are typically all written by men.  Have you ever noticed that men have no problem treating themselves to a full day with legs up, beverage in hand and mind empty of thoughts?  They don't even need it to be Father's Day!  It can just be any ol' Wednesday....sadly sometimes, the occasional deadbeat Dad will try and pull this stunt on Mother's Day - not cool.  Men are intrinsically wired to "unwind and chil

The Hottest Hire: Moms!

How staying at home to raise my kids lead to  more  work opportunities and the confidence to take them on. It's one of the biggest issues facing new Moms - the question of whether to put off a career in order to stay home raising our babies full-time, or whether to go back to work and focus on advancing our careers while we can. Historically, there's always been this perception that leaving the workforce during our prime earning years will severely hamstring our earning potential and career options later on. It's one of the most intensely difficult decisions women make - and is based on an outdated premise that one cannot start a robust, exciting, fulfilling and high-earning career at any stage in our lives. I remember feeling the intense scrutiny and judgment of working Moms when I opted to be a stay-at-home parent in those early years of my kids lives (I have three boys). There was an underlying assumption that I had chosen cookie baking, daytime television watch

Lipstick and hockey sticks: A girly Mom's guide to faking your way through kids hockey season

It's not easy being a skirt in a home chalk-full of rancid jocks.  But I've managed to get by.  You see, as the lone double X in a chromosomal pool of 4 XYs (5 if I include the dog), my interests in home decor, Fall fashions, beach-wave hair and pedis get buried somewhere underneath a pile of mismatched tube-socks, baseball gloves, goalie pads and Under Armour everything.  Don't get me wrong, I love being active.  I'm a daily exerciser, I enjoy 9-holes of golf and just finished up another summer season on a ladies ball-hockey team - and I literally still have no idea what the rules are (icing to me means confectioners sugar, butter and milk). I do my best at faking my way through "sporty" - just as Brittany Spears fakes her way through "talented" and "singing".  Pretending to love sports gives me a valid excuse to get out of the house for an hour each week to pursue an activity that my kids might actually care to inquire about.  "